HVAC Technicians get asked this all the time, “What happens if I don’t change my air filters?” Well, a lot of things could happen. Homeowners that ignore replacing their air filters on a regular basis risk damaging their heating and air conditioning equipment and increasing poor indoor air quality. Changing your air filters is a basic home maintenance task that only takes a few minutes to complete.
When talking to our customers, below are the most common, and harmful, effects of not changing your air filters regularly:
- Increase run time of your A/C System with no to little change in air temperature. Basically, you’re spending money on energy and not seeing any benefit.
- Your HVAC Unit gets clogged with dust and fails. Airflow is getting blocked therefore causing damage.
- It takes longer to hear or cool your home. As your air filters collect more and more dust, the ability for air to move through the filter decreases.
- Indoor air can become stagnant and smell. When air doesn’t move, dust particles, moisture and odors will build up onto surfaces in your home.
- Poor Indoor Air Quality. Not changing your air filters can cause the indoor air to become worse than the outdoor air. Side effects of poor air quality include sneezing, watery eyes, or trigger respiratory and asthma related symptoms.
Please consider changing out your air filters every 30 days during the hotter months in Goodyear, AZ. A lot of homeowners hardly use their heater in the winter, so changing out every 60 days is fine. Remember, changing filters on a regular basis will save you time and money in the long run.